Developing material such as teaching book sometimes becomes problems since many steps are needed to occupy. Then, Friday, 5th September 2014, Mrs. Winarti, M.Pd., one of English lecturer of English Center – Maulana Malik Ibrahim State Islamic University, Malang shared her knowledge that was presented in ASIA TEFL 2014 in Kuching, Malaysia on 30th August 2014. She presented a topic “Developing English for Specific Purposes (ESP) Textbook for Syaria Department” in lecturer room of English Center building. Her presentation was also as her generosity to share knowledge under the honor of invitation from the institution in round table discussion. Then, among 35 English lecturer attended the presentation and listened seriously.
Mrs. Winarti, M.Pd. started her presentation by greeting all audiences whom were actually her colleagues in teaching ESP in UIN Malang. She continued by sharing her experiences in writing textbook previously. She also explained about the urgency of writing textbook for Syaria department since the existed textbook used to teach ESP was not occupying Islamic values which represented the view of UIN Malang as Islamic university. After that, she start explaining the steps of developing ESP textbook by showing Research and Development procedures chart in her slide which is taken from Borg, W. R., Gall. M., D. (1983). The steps are:
- Classroom problems related to instructional supporting documents (like the syllabus, the textbook, the media) as well as assessment instruments are identified to be solved.
- Theories, principles, or criteria of effective instructional supporting documents and assessment instruments are reviewed from related references, from teachers conferences, from discussion with colleagues,
- The selected instructional documents or assessment instruments considered to be the cause of the problem is developed based on related principles, theories, or criteria that have been studied.
- The product is reviewed closely by the researcher to make sure that all the appropriate principles have been applied in the development of the product.
- The product is validated to related experts and revised accordingly to get quality assurance. Different expertise may be needed to validate the quality of the product. A textbook development may need validation from experts in curriculum, classroom instruction, assessment, picture drawing, etc.
- The instructional product is tried out in a small scale and revised based on the results of the try-out. Targeted criteria of success are needed to determine the acceptability of the product. Try-out to a larger group of students may be needed to get more feedbacks for the product revision.
- The final product is published. The product must be a set of educational products that are ready to support classroom instructions. A Research & Development may plan to produce a set of English instructional materials for grade VII students covering (1) Unit Lesson Program, (2) Students Work Sheet, (3) Evaluation Sheet, and (4) Teachers book
After about an hour presentation she showed the published textbook to audiences. Finally, the presentation was closed by sharing and discussion which flowered by laughs and smiles from audiences.
(Afif Ikhwanul M)
Borg, W. R., Gall. M., D. 1983. Educational Research an Introduction New York and London: Longman Inc