Wednesday, 15 October 2014, English Center held an awesome guest lecture under the title “English Learning Strategy” which was presented y Rinjani Bonavidi, M.Ed., Ph.D.. The agenda was held in the 3rd floor Hall of C building or Language Center building that started at 08.00 up to 12.00. This guest lecture was initiated by the director of English Language Center (ELC), Dr. H. Langgeng Budianto, M.Pd., observation on students’ English speaking motivation that sometimes need to be improved. Moreover, he invited all students in Maulana Malik Ibrahim State Islamic University, Malang to join this program. Then, more or less around 400 students attended and participate actively in the program.
The agenda was started by the ceremonial opening by the director of ELC and continued to the introduction of the guest lecture speaker. After that, Rinjani Bonavidi, M.Ed., Ph.D. started questioning students about their aims to join this program. Amazingly, most of them stated that they were attracted by the program title “English Learning Strategy” and they wanted to enhance their English competence ability. This answer encourages the speaker’s motivation to start explaining and share her experience in Australia. (aim)
- Peserta wajib berpakaian hitam-putih beralmamater, rapi, dan sopan dan tidak diperkenankan memakai celana jeans (PESERTA PUTRA WAJIB MEMAKAI DASI & PUTRI WAJIB MEMAKAI JILBAB PUTIH/HITAM).
- Peserta wajib membawa tanda peserta (berupa KUITANSI PENDAFTARAN dan KTM) untuk masuk ke lokasi acara dan untuk pengambilan transkrip/ijazah, snack, serta doorprize. Bagi peserta yang tidak dapat menunjukkan tanda peserta dikarenakan hilang maka dia WAJIB untuk mengurus kehilangannya dengan menunjukkan KTM ke seksi Kesekretariatan di kantor PPBI.
- Pada waktu pintu masuk dibuka, peserta masuk ruang prosesi dengan tertib, antri dan duduk sesuai dengan pembagian fakultas yang tertera pada denah (menyusul) serta mengikuti seluruh prosesi acara dengan tertib & hikmad sampai acara berakhir.
- Peserta dilarang merokok, minum-minuman keras, atau membuat gaduh/keonaran di dalam SPORT CENTER selama prosesi berlangsung.
- Ijazah/transkrip dan Sertifikat TOEFL akan diberikan kepada semua mahasiswa secara bergantian.
- Jika ijazah/transkrip dan Sertifikat TOEFL tidak diambil pada saat acara Gelar Kelulusan, maka keterlambatan akan dikenakan sanksi administrasi. PPBI Tidak Bertanggungjawab atas terjadinya kerusakan/kehilangan ijazah/transkrip yang tidak diambil 2 bulan setelah acara Gelar Kelulusan “ONE YEAR ENGLISH PROGRAM”.
ALUR PROSESI GELAR KELULUSAN BAHASA INGGRIS
- Peserta harus hadir di lokasi prosesi pada pukul 07.00 WIB.
- Pintu masuk lokasi ditutup pukul 08.00 WIB.
- Peserta masuk ruangan prosesi dengan tertib dan WAJIB menunjukkan tanda peserta GELAR KELULUSAN.
- Snack akan diberikan pada saat peserta memasuki SPORT CENTER dengan menunjukkan kartu peserta satu persatu.
- Peserta memasuki SPORT CENTER dan menempati tempat duduk sesuai dengan fakultasnya masing-masing seperti yang tercantum pada denah (denah akan diberikan kepada ketua tingkat/koordinator masing-masing kelas).
- Di dalam ruangan prosesi, peserta duduk dengan rapi sesuai dengan fakultasnya.
- Setelah mengikuti acara prosesi, peserta mengambil transkrip/ijazah dan Sertifikat TOEFL dengan rapi, tertib dan antri melewati pintu yang sesuai dengan fakultasnya sesuai dengan denah.
Developing material such as teaching book sometimes becomes problems since many steps are needed to occupy. Then, Friday, 5th September 2014, Mrs. Winarti, M.Pd., one of English lecturer of English Center – Maulana Malik Ibrahim State Islamic University, Malang shared her knowledge that was presented in ASIA TEFL 2014 in Kuching, Malaysia on 30th August 2014. She presented a topic “Developing English for Specific Purposes (ESP) Textbook for Syaria Department” in lecturer room of English Center building. Her presentation was also as her generosity to share knowledge under the honor of invitation from the institution in round table discussion. Then, among 35 English lecturer attended the presentation and listened seriously.
Mrs. Winarti, M.Pd. started her presentation by greeting all audiences whom were actually her colleagues in teaching ESP in UIN Malang. She continued by sharing her experiences in writing textbook previously. She also explained about the urgency of writing textbook for Syaria department since the existed textbook used to teach ESP was not occupying Islamic values which represented the view of UIN Malang as Islamic university. After that, she start explaining the steps of developing ESP textbook by showing Research and Development procedures chart in her slide which is taken from Borg, W. R., Gall. M., D. (1983). The steps are:
- Classroom problems related to instructional supporting documents (like the syllabus, the textbook, the media) as well as assessment instruments are identified to be solved.
- Theories, principles, or criteria of effective instructional supporting documents and assessment instruments are reviewed from related references, from teachers conferences, from discussion with colleagues,
- The selected instructional documents or assessment instruments considered to be the cause of the problem is developed based on related principles, theories, or criteria that have been studied.
- The product is reviewed closely by the researcher to make sure that all the appropriate principles have been applied in the development of the product.
- The product is validated to related experts and revised accordingly to get quality assurance. Different expertise may be needed to validate the quality of the product. A textbook development may need validation from experts in curriculum, classroom instruction, assessment, picture drawing, etc.
- The instructional product is tried out in a small scale and revised based on the results of the try-out. Targeted criteria of success are needed to determine the acceptability of the product. Try-out to a larger group of students may be needed to get more feedbacks for the product revision.
- The final product is published. The product must be a set of educational products that are ready to support classroom instructions. A Research & Development may plan to produce a set of English instructional materials for grade VII students covering (1) Unit Lesson Program, (2) Students Work Sheet, (3) Evaluation Sheet, and (4) Teachers book
After about an hour presentation she showed the published textbook to audiences. Finally, the presentation was closed by sharing and discussion which flowered by laughs and smiles from audiences.
(Afif Ikhwanul M)
Borg, W. R., Gall. M., D. 1983. Educational Research an Introduction New York and London: Longman Inc