The first day of PPBI / English Center class starts on Monday, 25th August 2014. Be ready for both Intensive English program (PPBI/PKPBI Class) at the afternoon and English Regular program (SIAKAD Schedule). Be punctual and believe that English is easy and fun. For the Intensive English program, the schedules are below.
Thursday, 21st August, 2014 English Center of Maulana Malik Ibrahim State Islamic University, Malang meets and greets with all loyal lecturers and new family members. “Tumpeng” as the symbol of togetherness was firstly cut by the director of English Center – Dr. H. Langgeng Budianto, M.Pd., and was given to the new family members. The second “Tumpeng” cut was taken by the vice director of English Center – Hj. Rina Sari, M.Pd. Smiles and laughs were appeared clearly on all lecturers lips and expressions. Furthermore, this “Tumpeng” gathering was organized in order to strengthen the English Center big family relationship as the prolog declared by the director “Here, we have to work, share, cooperate, learn, and tie our hearts for the development of English Center and UIN Maliki Malang”. (AIM)
Wednesday, 20 August 2014 at 10.00, the Quality Assurance Bureau held workshop for all English Center of Maulana Malik Ibrahim State Islamic University, Malang as following up of the ESP Book material development workshop last May. The day workshop was aimed to line up the developing book guideline with the topic: Adapting Material Strategy. The workshop was lead by M. Adam Bashori, MA.TESOL and Dian Arsitades W., M.Pd.
The workshop was started by the short remark from English Center, Dr. H. Langgeng Budianto, M.Pd. which he emphasized the importance of the development of ESP Book as the students guideline and standardized materials for the teaching ESP in UIN Malang. After that, the workshop was continued by the explanation of how to adapt materials which were relevant as ESP materials.
Materials adaptation should be based on the results of materials evaluation. Of course different materials have different potential areas for adaptation. The following are some common deficiencies of existing ELT materials:
- fail (unable) to fulfil the goals and objectives specified by national or local syllabuses or curricula
- fail to fulfil the goals and objectives of schools where the materials are used
- cannot be finished in the time available
- require facilities or equipment or other supporting materials that are not available
- not engaging the learners’ personality
- detrimental to the learners’ culture
- not cater for the learners’ interests
The ways to adapt materials are:
- Omission: the teacher leaves out things deemed inappropriate, offensive, unproductive, etc., for the particular group.
- Addition: where there seems to be inadequate coverage, teachers may decide to add to textbooks, either in the form of texts or exercise material.
- Reduction: where the teacher shortens an activity to give it less weight or emphasis.
- Extension: where an activity is lengthened in order to give it an additional dimension. (for example, a vocabulary activity is extended to draw attention to some syntactic patterning.)
- Rewriting/modification: teacher may occasionally decide to rewrite material, especially exercise material, to make it more appropriate, more “communicative”, more demanding, more accessible to their students, etc.
- Replacement: text or exercise material which is considered inadequate, for whatever reason, may be replaced by more suitable material. This is often culled from other resource materials.
- Re-ordering: teachers may decide that the order in which the textbooks are presented is not suitable for their students. They can then decide to plot a different course through the textbooks from the one the writer has laid down.
- Branching: teachers may decide to add options to the existing activity or to suggest alternative pathways through the activities. (for example, an experiential route or an analytical route.)
The day workshop was ended by the agreement that the ESP book development committees must keep the deadline to finish all ESP books. (Afif IM)